In this article i’m going to show you how to root samsung galaxy tab 2 7 inch P3100 that runs android ICS 4.0.3, this tutorial may also works on galaxy tab 2 10 inch P5100. This rooting method already tested and works well on galaxy tab 2 7.0 P3100.
To root samsung galaxy tab 2 we’re going to use open source tool called heimdall to flash firmware into the tablet. Please note that you understand what you’re doing, do it at your own risk.
Besides heimdall suite you’ll also need these program on your computer :
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 runtimes, you can download here
- Android Debug Bridge (ADB), you can install android SDK to get this, it’s located in the platform-tools folder. Or you can also download the ADB only without the android SDK here.
Here’s the step by step tutorial how to root samsung galaxy tab 2 :
- Step 1, download the heimdall suite here and then extract it.
- Step 2, download this files, gt-p3110.pit and boot-bjr.img, put it in the same folder as the heimdall suite folder
- Step 3, put your galaxy tab 2 in sleep mode, by turn off and turn on again while press and hold the volume button down (-)
- Step 4, when it says “Download Mode Do Not Turn Off Target“, plug the galaxy tab 2 to your computer.
- Step 5, open command prompt (cmd) and go to the directory/folder where you can run ADB tool. Once you there, type : adb reboot download
- Step 6, go to the heimdall suite folder and run the heimdall-frontend program, then go to “flash” tab, on PIT section click browse and select the gt-p3110.pit
- Step 7, click the add button, then select partition name “KERNEL”
- Step 8, on the File section, click browse then select file boot-bjr.img, then click start button.
- Step 9, wait until the tablet reboot, congratulation you have root access now.